Sunday, January 12, 2014

I Want to Be a Part of It, New York

This is me.  Last year at the 2013 NYC Half Marathon.
It was a race I was super proud of finishing - but not proud at all of how I finished.  
In the months leading up to the race I got married, went on a honeymoon, packed up our life in Hawaii, spent several weeks in frozen South Dakota, and then eventually arrived herein Connecticut.  Three days later I ran that race.  Needles to say, I was not at all trained up the way I should've been.  I finished in 3:02:39.

Part of the problem is that I have a hard time sticking with a training program.  I have a history of finding excuses not to run.  But I don't want to be that person anymore.  

Because I love running in New York City - I put my name in the lottery again for the half.  To my complete and utter surprise, my name was selected from the lottery again.

This year - this year I decided to do it right.  
So I printed off the Hal Higdon Novice running schedule - and I am proud to report for the past 3 weeks I have actually STUCK to it!
The first week I started running at 5 mph, and this week I was up to 5.2 mph.  If I keep increasing my pace I should be able to break 2:30 this year which is my goal.
My long run today was 5 miles, and then I walked another .8
On the treadmill because it was dark.

Running on a treadmill is about as fun sometimes as watching paint dry - but I am so thankful that I have access to one.  

And I must admit that I love the way I feel after my run.

As a quick eating synopsis for the day:
(quick side note - we had my birthday party yesterday... so there were left overs today)
Breakfast / Lunch - Blueberries, 2 mini fritattas, 7 sausage balls, 2 slices carrot cake
Dinner - chicken, veggies, rice, dark & Stormy, 1 beer
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment